Thursday 7 April 2011

Road Tripping it to Taupo

Last weekend the boyfriend and I road tripped to Taupo. It's about a 5 1/2 hour drive from Wellington so we headed straight after work on Friday and got there at about 10.30pm. The drive there was pretty boring as it was dark for most of the journey so we didn't see much! I made the time pass merrily by singing along to CDs. Yes the boyfriend really enjoyed that!! ;)

For those of you who aren't familiar with NZ and are vaguely interested, Lake Taupo is the largest lake by surface area in NZ, and the second largest freshwater lake by surface area in Oceania.
  
There are a lot of water activities you can do on the lake like kayaking, sailing, jet boating etc. We went on a great sail boat trip last year, but this weekend we were taking it easy as I'd not been feeling too well.

On Saturday we visited Wai-O-Tapu Thermal Wonderland and explored the amazing volcanic craters and pools....

The Champagne Pool
Amazing lime green volcanic pool!
 
Champagne Pool
Volcanic waterfalls
 
Look at the steam coming from the water!
 


The boyfriend spotted a mouse running on a crater!! Cute!
 

I was sensible and wore my mum's weatherproof coat. I'm not sure how I feel about that!!
 

Those craters sure do stink!!!
My new home! ;)
 

There's my personal tour guide!
 
 We also had a quick stop in Rotorua and had  afternoon tea in the Government Gardens.

Rotorua
On Sunday we had a walk along the lake, dipped our feet in the thermal springs and road tripped it back to Wellington (with a little stop in Otaki on the way!).
Water coming from this pipe is RED HOT

I think this photo is great! A bach with prime lake front positioning anyone!?
Warming his tootsies!
It was quite nippy in the breeze!
Free pumice galore!!
Lunch stop on the way home

What a lovely weekend!

5 comments:

  1. Looks like you had a beautiful trip! I love the outdoors!

    Let's be blog buddies! I'm now following you and would love if you would follow my blog too! :)

    Along Abbey Road

    ReplyDelete
  2. awesome photos! must have been amazing!

    http://kc-citystyle.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. SO jealous! It looks so beautiful there. And the mouse is too presh!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I haven't been to Taupo or Rotorua for SO LONG! Its always amazing checking out the hot pools - although it is a little stinky - especially in Rotorua!

    ReplyDelete
  5. looks beautiful!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking time to comment on my blog. I READ and LOVE every comment! Please leave your blog address if you would like me to check your blog out :D

Sadie x